Saturday, April 21, 2007

Time to sing Singapore with pride

The Straits Times, April 21, 2007

SINKING HER ROOTS: After 10 years working and studying here, Johor-born actress Yeo Yann Yann hopes to call Singapore home.




WHEN she returns home after performing at Singapore Day in New York, actress Yeo Yann Yann, 30, will hand in her application for Singapore citizenship.
'I'm now halfway through completing my application form,'' said the Johor-born actress who became a Singapore permanent resident last year.

She has been studying and working here for a decade. 'The last 10 years have been the most important time for me. I grew up so much, as an actress and as a person. It's time I sink my roots here and make this officially my home. Then I can sing all these Singapore Day songs - which I know by heart - without guilt.''

The last two years have been especially good to her. She received rave reviews for her role as a nagging wife in the movie Singapore Dreaming last year. This year, she snagged the Best Actress prize at the Life! Theatre Awards. She has also just completed filming Royston Tan's latest movie, 881, where she has a leading role as a getai performer.

In New York, Yeo - who straddles Chinese and English theatre with ease - will don outlandish costumes from the movie and belt out Hokkien numbers with Tan and co-star Mindee Ong.

'I'm very excited. This is my first time performing in an ang moh country. I hope the Singaporeans there feel happy listening to Hokkien songs. I hope we make them think of home.''

No comments: