Saturday, May 19, 2007

Device to recover stolen cellphone

ST Forum, The Straits Times, May 19, 2007


I REFER to the letter, 'How can I recover my lost cellphone?' (ST, May 9), by Mr K. Sooruamurthy.

I would like to share my experience with a software program, PhoneBak, made by Singapore firm Bak2u, installed in my Nokia N70. My phone was stolen when I was in a cafe. Thanks to PhoneBak, I recovered it in 30 minutes when the man replaced my SIM card with his and triggered two hidden SMS messages to my husband and sister.

My husband called the man as the SMS was sent with the man's SIM card and asked him to return it immediately. The SMS also contained the IMEI of my phone, IMSI of the man's SIM card, area code and cell ID of his location. He had no choice but to return the phone as we had sufficient evidence to make a police report.

Chua Si Zhen (Ms)

No comments: